Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Two Month Check Up

I can't believe my baby is two months!!!  He's growing so much!  At the doctor we found out that he is 23.75" (50th percentile) and 12lbs 1oz (84th percentile).  I love his huge cheeks and the chub on his legs!  Why is that so cute on him but not on me?! :p


He handled his shots like a champ!

When my mom was here last week, she noticed that he was getting a flat spot behind his right ear and through the back of his head.  I felt a little guilty, I thought baby's with flat heads had mom's who didn't hold them enough!  I started holding him differently and tried to make him sleep on the other side at night.  We figured it was just because he was such a great sleeper!  When my doctor brought it up at the appointment, I got really nervous and started to defend myself and tell him I held him as much as I could and was already doing everything I could to keep him off that side.  He stopped me and told me that there was nothing I could on my own do to have prevented it.  Tate was born with a short sternocleidomastoid muscle on his right side which made him unable to turn his head to the left.  I knew he favored his right side, but I didn't realize he actually couldn't turn to the left.  As I started looking through his pictures it became pretty obvious. The neck issue is called torticollis and it causes the flat head since he is unable to turn or move it when he is laying on his back.  Plagiocephally is the term for the flat head and is quite common since 1994 when they American Academy of Pediatrics started recommending that babies sleep on their backs to avoid SIDS.  My doctor referred me to a pediatric physical therapist and told me that Tate would most likely need to wear a helmet to help his head grow in the right shape.

Some tort pictures












No comments: