Thursday, January 13, 2011
"It Doesn't Matter Where You Came From, It Matters Where You Are Going"
BYU had a special forum this week featuring Condoleeza Rice. I'll be honest, I didn't know a whole lot about her. I knew she was the secretary of state, I have a general idea of what the Secretary of State did and I knew she was Republican. But that was basically it. By the end of her 40 minute speech I wanted to head her campaign for president! It was uplifting, enlightening and inspiring.
Here are some of my notes from her address:
LOVED this quote: "Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same."
- Powerful countries are not the ones to worry about. Failed and failing countries (like Afganistan) are the ones we need to worry about. We need to help them heal.
- Without democracy people in countries with an authoritarian system can only resort to violence to be heard. Authoritarian leaders are afraid of their people. They are afraid of the moment the people are no longer afraid of them.
- In America we are not necessary held together by a religion or race or nationality but by a promise. The promise of the American Dream
- Integrate your knowledge on what is, with what might be.
- To stay optimisic she read the biographies of the founding fathers. They show all of the ways the US should not have happened. She also brought up how our faith was founded similarily; under impossible odds (i thought it was way cool she recognized that. She seems incredibly respectful of the LDS faith and any faith in general). Also her own story- that a little black girl from Birmingham, AL who wasn't even allowed to eat dinner in a restaurant because of segregation told her mom and dad she wanted to be president. And they told her she could, and she became Secretary of State along the way.
- We are luck to go to a school that believes that faith and reason go together. That does not see intellect and your faith as enemies of each other, but sees them as integrally related in what you
You can read more about her address here
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment