Wednesday, May 9, 2012

What I Eat Wednesdays

Since I started losing weight, I've had tons of people asking what I do to cut calories or what I eat every day for 1200 calories that legitimately fills me up.  So, I decided to do "What I Eat Wednesdays."  Clearly I have a thing for alliterations!

First, let's get two things straight. 
1) I'm an awful cook.  I don't do anything fancy and I love premade stuff.  Bring on preservatives!  (I know they are bad for you....but I'm already so picky (see #2) I'm not limiting the things I eat even more to avoid them)  I do plan on trying some substitutions and stuff in the future, like using yogurt in recipes instead of butter or oil etc   I haven't attempted much, that will probably be something for after I graduate but please share if you have any great "skinny" recipes!

2)  I'm the pickiest eater IN THE WORLD!  I have never met anyone pickier than me, except maybe my Uncle Bep.  Think of your favorite six year old.  I eat like them, but I bet they eat more green stuff than I do.  My favorite food in the entire world is Mac and Cheese, espcially the velveeta kind, mmmmmm.  I like things the plainer the better and freak out if my food touches. Just ask my waitress from the Cheesecake Factory the other night....  Anyways... being picky works both for me, and against me.  Against me because I have very little variety and variety is key in getting all of the nutrition you need and because I don't eat any vegetables, unless you count corn and potatoes.  I found out the other day that corn is an ice cream topping in Korea, so my veggies are candy to other people.  Awesome. It also works for me though because while everyone else can't eat a taco without sour cream on it, or a burger without mayo, I can't stand it and get it plain.  Try ordering your favorites without as many condiments, it still tastes pretty good and those calories from mayo or sour cream don't fill you up or have much nutrition in them.


Now on to what I had for breakfast this morning and most other mornings.  Sausage and Eggs!!


I use the organic cage-free eggs from Costco (mostly for Ty, I don't usually pay attention to if things are organic or not. Mom, aren't you impressed I eat brown eggs?! (yes, I am THAT picky)
I also use the Jimmy Dean turkey sausage crumbles.  I can't always find them at every grocery store but Walmart always has them.
 Thank you Kat for making me try turkey bacon at your house forever ago, life changing! Seriously, if you haven't tried turkey sausage or bacon, you HAVE to! It tastes the exact same and is way better for you.  One serving is 2/3 of a cup and only 80 calories.  I only use 1/3 of a cup and have found it is plenty, especially with two eggs.  Which leads me to my single biggest slice of advice when it comes to counting calories, and eating healthy in general- measure everything! everything!!! 
2 eggs- 140 calories
turkey sausage- 40 calories
banana- 110 calories
total: 290 calories
YUM!  Add some veggies though if you aren't a baby like me.  Ty loves this with peppers and onions.  Also, I would reccomend breaking your breakfast into two parts.  Eat just the eggs or just the fruit first thing in the morning, depending on what's easiest for you then have the other 2 or 3 hours later.  It's better to eat a bunch of small, low calorie meals then three big meals.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Thats a good breakfast for 300 calories! Good girl!